Friday, June 24, 2011

Introductions

Hello and welcome to “Matched: Reviews and Recommendations”!

First meetings usually warrant introductions; therefore, this first post seems like an ideal place to introduce you to the writer behind the blog.

My name is Kristin Harkins, and in addition to being an English Instructor at Nash Community College, I am an avid reader – and sometimes writer.  Since I graduated with my Master of Arts degree from N. C. State, I have been looking for an outlet to express my views on what I’ve been reading with other literary-minded individuals.  Having been a follower of several book bloggers, such as For the Love of YA and write meg!, for a year, I decided my own book blog would be the ideal space, encouraging of expression but free from the pressures of academia, to start.  And so, “Matched” was born – in theory if not in execution.  In the past year, I have graduated from graduate school, gotten married, bought a house, and started a new job: these massive life changes have left little time for me to pursue other projects, but with my life returning to some semblance of order, I resolved it was time for “Matched” to become a reality.

My bookshelves - This doesn't
even include what's on my Kindle!
The premise of this blog is to post reviews of books I am reading and to offer recommendations on books I have read in the past.  Instead of a clear-cut rating system, I have conceived a “matching” scheme in which I will pair books with a particular mood, location, type of person, season, etc.  In my experience, different people are attracted to different scenarios and just because I love a book and give it five stars, does not mean all the readers of my blog will give it five stars as well; therefore, in an attempt to help readers choose the books that are best for them, I will suggest when, where, and why they should read this book with the hopes that if they are in that situation, they will pick the book up, and it will meet their current reading needs.

My literary interests lean toward young adult and contemporary fiction, in addition to poetry and classic British and American literature, and I have an extensive library. 

Thanks for stopping by – Reviews and Recommendations are coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your blog, Kristin -- and yay, I'm one of the first to comment! The book blogging community is a vast and welcoming place, and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks for the shout-out above, too -- I'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Kristin! It is so true, the way we look for books to match our moods and inclinations. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete