Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Will You Be My Friend? Top 10 Fave Book Characters

Image from The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish.  I couldn't resist the chance to celebrate my favorite literary characters with this week's top ten list!

1. Mr. Rochester, Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte: I am Team Rochester all the way.

2. Hermione Granger, Harry Potter series J. K. Rowling: Score one for the smart girls!

3. Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins: Another strong female lead.

4. Jessica Darling, Sloppy Firsts Megan McCafferty: Hilarious - Jessica voiced all my angsty thoughts in high-school.

5. Scarlett and 6. Halley, Someone Like You, Sarah Dessen: Their friendship reminds me of my best friend.

7. Dash and 8. Lily, Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, David Levithan and Rachel Cohn: Another set of smart, witty characters.

9. Alma Singer, The History of Love Nicole Krauss: Alma displays a poignancy and resilience not often found in young characters.  It is matched by Oskar Schell in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, Krauss' husband.

10. Hannah Payne, When She Woke Hillary Jordan: Confession - I am only half-way through this novel, but Hannah's story and emotions already resonate with me so much.  I know she is a character that will stick with me long after I put down the book.

Honorable Mentions:
Anne Elliott and Captain Wentworth, Persuasion Jane Austen
Digby and Kate, Digby and Kate Barbara Baker
Charlotte, Charlotte's Web E. B. White

6 comments:

  1. I love Anne Elliott and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion! It is my favorite Jane Austen book!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose Hermione too, she's by far my favourite Harry Potter character. I always liked that she was smart, and she didn't try to hide it. Plus she knew how to fight back when she needed to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and yes! Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I have the entire Jessica Darling series on my bookshelf, I really need to get working on them. A few coworkers have raved about When She Woke, thanks for reminding me to go get it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teen Librarian - All wonderful books - I highly recommend them.

    Also guys, I want to amend my list and add Atticus Finch. I was discussing "To Kill A Mockingbird" with a student today and was reminded of his awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I love that you've selected Charlotte as one of your honourable mentions. Charlotte's Web was my favourite book as a child :-)

    ReplyDelete